Do you have extreme anxiety when it comes to visiting your dentist? Do your nerves get the better of you when you sit in the patient’s chair? At Lansdowne Dental Care, we have a deep understanding of your individual needs.
It’s okay to feel afraid – that’s why we have set up special sedation dentistry services just for you. You don’t have to go it alone!
Dr. Tracey Nguyen, one of the top women in dentistry, is dedicated to helping each and every patient feel comfortable when they come to Ashburn for a visit. Our conscious sedation methods guarantee to help you feel safe, calm, and happy with your treatment.
We congratulate you for choosing to visit our Ashburn dentists, despite feeling scared and anxious about your visit. We are here for you, to make your experience a memorable one from start to finish.
What Exactly Is Sedation Dentistry?
Our sedation dentistry services are the perfect way to combat dental phobia. Other terms for this safe and applicable procedure are called “oral conscious sedation” and “sleep dentistry”. It is designed to help address any complicated dental health issues in one simple office visit. Without sedation dentistry, patients with extreme fear or with highly complicated oral issues would need to span their procedures across several office appointments.
Here at Lansdowne Dental Care, our talented staff members will typically apply oral sedation to help take the edge off of your anxiety. We will give you a Halcion or Valium pill, which you will take about an hour before the dental procedures begin. This will help you to feel drowsy and comfortable. It will also help you to feel numb to some of the more painful or irritating aspects of the procedures.
Some of our patients feel so comfortable that they actually do fall asleep during the procedure. While the pill is not a form of anesthesia, and it is meant to keep you conscious, you may feel like taking a nap. Typically, the sleep is very light, and you can be woken with a gentle bump or shake.
Overall, it is our talented staff’s goal to make you feel comfortable during your procedure.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
While dental anxiety is a common and popular reason for sedation dentistry, it isn’t the only one. Dr. Tracey Nguyen wants to ensure that all types of patients can receive the same level of comfort and care when paying us a visit. With compassion and effectiveness as our top priorities, we are always available to assess whether sedation dentistry would be the right choice for you.
You may be a good candidate for sedation dentistry if you:
- Have had terrifying or traumatizing dental experiences in the past. Certain events may have led to your fear of the dentist – we totally understand that. Our Lansdowne Dental Care professionals in Ashburn want to help you create new, comfortable, and positive memories with the aid of sedation dentistry.
- Have too strong of a gag reflex. For some patients, the mere act of opening the mouth to have a dentist look inside can cause a gag reflex. Sedation dentistry will temporarily remove those senses and reflexes so you can focus on relaxing.
- Have a phobia of needles, drills, or other dental equipment. A fear of needles and drills is very common. We understand that some pieces of dental equipment can look intimidating, especially to patients who are not overly familiar with the tools and resources being used.
- Hate the sight, smells, and sounds of a dentist’s office. Certain sounds and smells can be just as triggering as a phobia of needles and equipment. Under the effects of sedation dentistry, your body will feel calmer, and you will become less aware of the smells and sights that surround you. This will help your brain to associate Lansdowne Dental Care as a place of comfort, compassion, and effective treatment.
- Have a natural resistance to anesthetics. Some patients cannot be put under the effects of anesthesia. This may be for several reasons. The most common reason is that some bodies are successful at fighting off anesthetic influences. In order to ensure that you are safely and successfully sedated, we will implement oral sedation techniques rather than attempting to put you under anesthesia.
- Are in need of several complicated dental procedures. Some of our more involved dental treatments may require several visits; but with the help of sedation dentistry, it’s possible to receive those complex treatments in as little as one office visit.
- Have a hectic schedule and busy life. If you simply don’t have time for more than one office appointment, we can set up a sedation dentistry plan that will take care of your needs in a single visit.
What Are the Side Effects of Oral Sedation Dentistry?
At Lansdowne Dental Care, we like to employ the most high-tech dental services available. Dr. Tracey Nguyen and her team has done the research, and are confident that oral sedation is the best and most successful method of sedation for dental treatments.
While the side effects of oral sedation are few and far between, some patients can experience the following after the procedure is complete:
- Dry mouth
- Retrograde amnesia (only for the duration of the office visit)
- Some nausea
If any of these side effects are experienced for any reason, they are typically mild enough to not require medical attention. If side effects persist, however, then our staff will advise you on receiving the proper care.
Call Us Today for More Sedation Dentistry Information!
If your fear of the dentist is keeping you from making an appointment, you can rest assured that our staff at Lansdowne Dental Care in Ashburn will make you feel safe and comfortable. We care about every aspect of your health, and we would never want you to be afraid or traumatized while we deliver our safe and effective treatments. To learn more about oral sedation dentistry, visit us online to learn more. You can also give us a call at (703) 723-7810 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to taking care of you!