You have a beautiful smile. But when you look closely in the mirror, you may notice that your teeth are starting to yellow or darken. You brush and floss every day, but you can’t seem to find the best way to whiten teeth and get rid of stains. What can you do to get rid of them? Does tooth whitening really work?
At Lansdowne Dental Care in Ashburn, we are motivated to provide the best solution for your smile. That’s why Dr. Tracey Nguyen, one of the top 25 women in dentistry, offers three unique teeth whitening solutions to provide the perfect fit for your smile. If you are looking to whiten your teeth and boost your confidence, we are happy to provide you with the best options possible.
Currently, Dr. Tracey Nguyen offers three tooth whitening options for your convenience:
- Zoom! Whitening: This is an award-winning solution that is favored by dentists across the globe. Zoom! Whitening is an in-office bleaching procedure, using professional-grade bleaches and safe products from the comfort of the patient’s chair. The process uses a laser light, which activates pH-balanced gel, causing it to bleach your teeth. Dr. Tracey Nguyen is one of the only dentists in Ashburn to provide laser teeth whitening options, and it has proven highly effective.
- Whitening Trays: This is a common favorite by patients. Our professional dentists will create a custom mold of your mouth, which will then be used to make take-home whitening trays for you. Simply wear them each day with our bleaching agent, and you will see results in just a few weeks.
- GLO Whitening: GLO Whitening is a revolutionary procedure that’s fairly new to the market. Dr. Tracey Nguyen loves this option, as it combines the safety of an in-office visit with the easy aftercare of a take-home kit. You can continue to invest in the procedure at home and see the fastest results!
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
While the concept of tooth whitening is the same, the methods of application vary across the wide array of teeth whitening options. For example, the process of using take-home whitening strips may be different than receiving an in-office visit.
Generally, the process of whitening teeth is performed through bleaching procedures. This process uses bleach with an active ingredient, which is typically hydrogen peroxide. At Lansdowne Dental Care, we gently apply the bleaching agent to your teeth, making sure not to affect the gums. The agent can be activated using a laser-heating device, such as the case with Zoom! Whitening. Or, the bleach can be worn with whitening trays, which will start to work after wearing them for a short while.
Our dentists can create a custom mouthpiece for at-home wear. Our in-office procedures include a quick and simple visit that results in no pain and little to no irritation as well. Dr. Tracey Nguyen holds herself to a level of safety and care when treating each individual patient.
How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last?
Depending on the method of tooth whitening used, the effects of teeth whitening can last well over a year. According to the Oral Health Foundation, most tooth whitening methods create results that last up to three years.
Innovative systems such as GLO Whitening and Zoom! Whitening create fast results, which may last longer depending on the level of discoloration your tooth started out with. For those with heavy discoloration, the effects may not last as long.
It also depends on the type of stains you have on your teeth. There are two types of stains that can occur throughout the course of your life:
- Extrinsic stains, which are outside of the enamel and are typically caused from eating dark foods. If you have a history of consuming tobacco, alcohol, coffee, tea, or fruit juices, you may be dealing with extrinsic stains. They are typically dark or yellow in color.
- Intrinsic stains, which are underneath the layer of enamel and sit deep inside your tooth. These stains are caused by tooth trauma, a birth defect, or other serious issues. Fortunately, these stains can still be treated by tooth whitening procedures, but the results may not last as long.
Keep in mind that you may not be a candidate for teeth whitening if you have several veneers, crowns, or bridges.
Methods to Whiten Your Teeth at Home
Dr. Tracey Nguyen recommends several of the at-home treatments offered by Lansdowne Dental Care. In Ashburn, you can invest in our custom-made whitening strips, which are built to address the specific needs of your teeth. You will be sent with an aftercare kit and your own set of whitening strips to be used with our bleaching agent.
You should start to see results in one to three weeks. Our bleach is designed to get rid of stains and restore your naturally beautiful smile. Not only will this help to protect your enamel and prevent dark stains from occurring, but it will be a great confidence booster as well.
While there are several over-the-counter whitening products available, Dr. Tracey Nguyen recommends giving us a visit first. If you are concerned about the ingredients in any of our products, we can schedule a consultation with you to speak more about your tooth whitening options.
Are Teeth Whitening Products Safe?
Tooth whitening products have been deemed both by Colgate and The American Dental Association as safe to use on the teeth and enamel. While some patients have reported feeling tooth and gum sensitivity after the procedure, this is a temporary and mild side effect that typically goes away within a couple of hours.
The bleaching agents we use at Lansdowne Dental Care have received the ADA Seal of Approval, and are safe to use with our whitening strips. The active ingredient in the bleach will get rid of stains, but will not harm the rest of the area.
Get Your Teeth Whitened With Us Today!
Are you ready to restore your smile and whiten your teeth? Our Ashburn dentists would be happy to schedule an appointment with you! You may contact us at any time to schedule an appointment, or give us a call at (703) 723-7810 to speak with one of our friendly office members. We look forward to seeing you soon!