What to Look for When Searching for a Cosmetic Dentist.
1. Recommendations: Narrowing down your search for the best cosmetic dentist can be as easy as getting a few recommendations from trusted people. If you have family members or trusted friends who have had procedures cosmetically in the dental industry, they can recommend you to their dentists that they used for these treatments. You can feel better knowing that these dentists have already been trusted and tried by people you trust and love. Otherwise, if you do not have a recommendation, you can do your own research online by finding positive and negative reviews of local cosmetic dentists in your area. It can be easy to narrow down your searches simply by finding the most top rated cosmetic dentist in your area.
2. Price: It can be tempting to opt for a cosmetic dentist that is the cheapest option. However, the saying “you get what you paid for”indeed rings true when it comes to cosmetic dentistry. No one wants to pay an arm and a leg for some veneers or dentures, so finding the right dentist who is not only top rated but is also in your budget can make the whole experience run smoothly, and you can feel confident in the journey. A great starting point for this step is by contacting your dental insurance company and finding out if they cover any form of cosmetic dentistry. Typically, cosmetic dentistry isn’t covered by dental insurers however if the treatment can benefit the functionality of your smile and mouth then perhaps that can be covered partially.
3. Education: When a dentist gets their license to practice, they are usually mostly trained for the standard dental procedures and not necessarily cosmetic dentistry. If a dentist wants to continue their education, then they must attend a few more years of schooling to focus their training on cosmetic dentistry. This is the same procedure for a dentist that wants to become an oral surgeon, You also want to find someone who continues their education by educating themselves and attending courses that update they’re learning as their career progresses. This is a great way to stay up-to- date on all of the new changes that the industry has to offer. You can always ask the dentist how they keep their education updated; it can be wise to stay away from those who don’t necessarily focus on this step.
4. Experience: When looking for the right cosmetic dentist, you may run into a few dentists that seem great on paper, and their price is right. However, their experience may be lacking. Be wary of the dentist’s who have only had a few years of professional experience in this industry. Not to say their work can’t be exceptional, however, you will feel more confident in opting for a professional who’s had at least 10 or 15 years of professional industry experience.
Once you narrow down your search and have found the perfect cosmetic dentist for you, it is time to have the first consultation with that dentist. During this consultation, the dentist will perform a checkup and multiple x-rays to figure out exactly what the issues may be in your smile. During this consultation, you will also communicate with the dental professional what your goals are for your smile aesthetics.
Your dental professional will then recommend one of the many cosmetic dental procedures that can repair the issues in your smile. The list below are the more popular treatments in the world of cosmetic dentistry.
1. Dental bonding: This is a simple way to treat chips and the cracks in natural teeth by using a special dental bonding agent that will keep the natural tooth from further cracks and chips.
2. Teeth Whitening: This is an extremely professional treatment that will give you many shades whiter teeth then if you decided to use any drugstore options.
3. Porcelain Crowns: Dental crowns are used to cover extremely discolored teeth or even cracked or chipped teeth. Crowns cover a natural tooth from all sides above the gum line. Porcelain is popularly used as it mimics the look and feel of natural teeth more than any other material.
4. Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers are thin shields that are bonded to your natural teeth in order to make them whiter, straighter, appear closer together, hideaway chips and cracks, and much more.
5. Dental Implants: Dental implants are used to replace and extracted or missing too. An implant mimics at tooth root when a dentist screws in a titanium post into your jaw and adds a dental crown to the top.